Monday, April 4, 2011

Bagaces, Costa Rica

I spent the last 3 days with the family of Veronica P.  I took the local bus from the beach into Liberia and learned valuable lessons along the way.  First - if you want a spot on the bus take it from the original station because by the time it gets several stops down the road it´s full.  Second - if they require you to put your bag in the storage underneath sit on that side of the bus to watch it.  People get off every stop and grab bags.  This bus ride was the first time I felt really nervous about traveling.  Unknown destination, unknown friend to be meeting, unknown everything.  I sat there thinking, now THIS is an adventure!  Veronica met me at the station and we took another bus to her hometown.  I held my 50 lb pack on my lap because the bus was packed and had less than an inch to breath - I couldn´t even turn my head because there wasn´t space for my nose.  Plus I had to prop it up with my hand so it didn´t fall on the lady next to me, man I was sweating for that 45 minutes!  Sarah, I still can´t fully understand your Nepali experience on the bus in the heat - what a trial.

In Bagaces I was welcomed warmly by the family.  I love small towns because they´re off the beaten path and allow me to relax instead of searching for things to do.  I enjoyed the typical Costa Rican food, which is rice and beans at every meal with the addition of a little meat at lunch and meat plus salad at dinner.  The kitchen is one of my favorite places to connect with people.  It was cozy to help cut veggies and wash dishes and just share space together.  The parents didn´t speak English so I was challenged to not only find vocabulary to communicate with them but to put the whole message together when they spoke.  The speaking style is very rapid and the last syllable of every word usually gets dropped off so sentences are a slur.  My brain tunes out conversation in order to rest so often I was caught unawares by someone sharply yelling - Samantha!  It´s getting better though, in 2 months I should be a pro :)

Veronica and I went to a local waterfall and swam around one of the days.  Funny that girls in their 20´s all over the world have the same problems, and therefore conversations - families, boyfriends, figuring out their own rules in life.  I loved the one on one time just being girls together.  Then we hiked to the top of the falls over leaves and hot, sharp rocks.  I picked up a few thorns in my feet and blisters but it was a new experience that I appreciated sharing.  When we finished and returned home we hung out with the family where people randomly stopped by.  The main information I always have to share is where I´m from, where I´m going, if I like Costa Rica and if I´m married.  Of course, not being married, I´m always asked how I feel about Latin men - ha!

Yesterday we all packed into the car and drove to hours to visit Uncle.  He lives closer to the Pacific Coast and had a friend who is caretaking a beautiful vacation property that was empty.  So we went there and swam.  I dove in and before I knew it was teaching the other 4 20-somethings and Uncle how to dive.  It was hilarious because I had to make up levels of poco, medio and grande to ease into the technique.  It brought lots of laughter!  We set up races for me and boy Cousin and I won several times in a row.  The girls got a kick out of it and his pride was a little hurt so after awhile he wanted to race again.  I teased him about wanting to lose, which I highly enjoyed because joking is one of those things lost in translation for me.  We went 3 more times and each time I won by a greater distance.  To save face he changed the game to race underwater without breathing.  If you´re family you know we did this all the time growing up and won´t be surprised to hear I swam the entire length and won.  The girls highly enjoyed this, giggling all along, but he was a great sport.

This morning I left Bagaces by catching a bus into the center of town.  Unfortunately, the next bus I caught in the wrong direction so lost 2 hours in the round trip.  Then I had to catch 2 more buses to get to my destination of La Fortuna de San Carlos.  Transition days have some difficulty for me.  I don´t mind riding the bus all day but there´s the new unknowing of my next destination, lodging and plan.  But, it allows me to live in the moment and observe all the things around me.  Before my final bus I met 2 other backpackers and we visited for 30 minutes over lunch.  It was so nice to meet like-minded people.  When talking, they made the important distinction between traveling and being on vacation.  Clearly, what I´m doing is traveling, and it´s something I love!  When we parted, I received my first hugs in over a week from them.  That´s what I´m missing today.  Otherwise, time keeps rolling on and so will I.  I feel calm and content, am well fed, healthy and strong. 

Sending love and HUGS.  Hasta luego!

6 comments:

  1. Sam, I love your posts! I love that you're having unexpected warm interactions with strangers, that you're observing and living in the moment, and even that you're having periods of nervousness! It's all such a gift. Sending a huge HUG, Lani

    ReplyDelete
  2. We have spring weather! Henry & Asa love going for walks although Asa promptly falls asleep! Your plants are thriving joyfully.....I think they've found a new home

    Enjoy your daily adventures. Share my hugs. Love & miss you but you know that:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Lani, I appreciate the communication and hug!

    Enjoy your daily adventures too mom :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that distinction between traveling and being on vacation! Yes! I don't know how much I like to be on vacation, but I certainly do love to travel - it's all about the adventure. Sounds wonderful there. Henry and Asa told me this morning that they miss their auntie Samantha. Love you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, and those bus rides are brutal. I'm surprised you remember that story (times 4). You've got me dreaming of going back to Nepal, so I have started putting away a little money here and there in hopes of being able to afford the flight next February. Just the inspiration I needed, so thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Haha, Sam, I'm the same way--I wouldn't have let the boy win either! I laughed out loud picturing your impish smile after you beat him and your knowing smile when he challenged you again. Love it!!!

    Ugh, those bus rides into the unknown must be a mix of anxiety and excitement. Great practice for life in general!

    And it's a true adventure once you think: "who's idea was this anyway?" Or in your case (since in mine it's usually Kai's idea and thus his fault that we're in the predicament), perhaps it's: "what was I thinking?" I hope you have plenty of those moments because they're always followed by an endorphin rush when you come out the other side!

    ReplyDelete